Friday, January 12, 2007

My first hospital stay


I've had my first hospital stay and all before I turned one. My grandma Popham was babysitting me on Monday when she phoned to tell my daddy that I wasn't feeling very good and I sounded like a bad car starting up. Daddy rushed home and he phoned mummy so that she could leave work and then daddy drove me to the hospital (mummy was there when we got there- she was very fast). The nice nurse lady took us right in and then the cute doctor (mummy thought he was nice looking) came and looked me over and put the cold breathing listening thing on my tummy and back. He said that I sounded raspy and my poor tummy was having to work hard to breathe. Then the hospital visit turned bad because the cute man and nice nurse made me put a big scary sounding mask over my mouth and nose and told my daddy to keep it there and make me breathe in the smoky stuff. I didn't like this cause I couldn't make my happy noises into the mask and I couldn't get it off my face. Finally that ended and then the doctor told my parents that they needed to see my tummy on TV, so they stripped me down and put me in some weird box and stuck my hands over my head and then mummy and daddy left while the TV took my picture. That wasn't too bad but I don't like to be in boxes without a way out. After being in the hospital for a few hours I was starting to get bored so my parents tried to entertain me by giving me piggyback rides. That was fun but I liked to watch all the people in the hospital too. Finally another lady doctor came to see me with a really cool light spinny thing and she told my parents that I was very sick (bronchial virus) and that I would have to stay in another hospital (this made mummy very sad). So I got all bundled up and mummy and daddy drove me to Abbotsford. When I got there I had to wake up and see some more doctors and have them listen to my tummy and then they made me wear the mean mask too. But they were even meaner cause then they decided to stick a big tube up my nose and it really hurt and made me cry really hard. Then if that wasn't enough they decided to tape a smaller plug on my face and put plugs up my nose and blow air up it . I did not like this and I kept trying to pull it out of my nose and pull the tape off my cheeks. Finally they let me go into a room and tried to get me to sleep in some very scary prison crib. I didn't like that either and so mummy had to hold me all night while I tried to sleep through all the face mask interruptions. Daddy couldn't stay with me the first night cause they didn't have a bed for him, (he could have used my crib cause he couldn't fall out of it) but he came back in the morning. I wasn't allowed to leave my room so mummy and daddy tried to keep me happy by putting on some funny movies and giving me a bath and playing toys with me. Grandma Hatzl came by to play with me later that day too. The good thing that day was that mummy convinced the nice nurse to take the tape thing off my face (that was not fun cause it made my cheeks bleed). They kept putting the face mask over me every three hours and putting a glowy thing on my thumb but I was starting to accept the face mask if mummy or daddy held me and we watched a video. That night daddy stayed with me and mummy went to a friends house to sleep (apparentaly she didn't sleep for 37 hours and was very tired). Of course I slept much better that night cause daddy also brought me my own playpen to sleep in and the nose thing was off my face. By Wednesday I was feeling a bit better so the doctor said I could go home later that night. They also let me out to play in the big room and I had fun playing with all the cool toys. I didn't like the food they served me though and my parents said it looked like something the cats barf up. That night at 7pm they sprung me loose with instructions to take some mask medicine when I go home. I was a very good boy and when I got home I slept in my crib for 3 hours before I woke up coughing and throwing up. I was trying to get rid of the guckys in my tummy and I made my bed all messy. Mummy thought I was all done so she gave me a bottle of milk (yup, BIG mistake)I threw that up all over her leg, the carpet and into my daddy's hands. Finally mummy took me into a nice steamy shower and at 1am I finally fell back to sleep in my crib. I am very happy to be home, but I still have to take the mask medicine and I don't really like it unless my parents let me do it myself so that I can take the mask off and pretend to be Darth Vader.

7 comments:

Charlie and Sam's Mommy - Deanna said...

Poor Jacob...that did not look like fun! Pretty scary huh! And for your mommy and Daddy! Hey Jacob's Mommy...was the cute Dr named Scott??? Our ER Dr. came in and said "My Name is Dr. Bakker but you can call me Scott!!!" I thought it was so funny that he told us to call him Scott! Plus Ben and I thought he looked like Marshal from the TV show "How I met your Mother"!
Glad Jacob's doing better! Glad he didn't have to spend his first Birthday in the HOspital!!!!

Happy Belated Birthday Jacob!!!! Can't wait for our party!!!

Anonymous said...

Poor Jacob! I really hope you are feeling better soon!!!!

Anonymous said...

you poor guy...that sounded horrible! i'm glad you're feeling better. make sure you keep taking your mask thing so that you can really enjoy your birthday cake and so that we can play together again soon!

Butchess said...

oooh jacob! what a yucky experience for you - and your mommy and daddy too!!! feel better ok?!!! see you soon!

Amy said...

Poor Jacob! That is aweful!

Kaelen's Mama said...

Poor Jacob! And Poor Mommy and Daddy!

Dr. Bakker aka. Scott Graduated from my high school and his Dad was my teacher! He came to do an internal on My Sister in law when she was having her baby and she graduated with him! Slightly Ackward!

Anonymous said...

Poor Jacob! We are glad to hear you are doing better. See you soon!